MARSHALL, Texas – The Marshall ISD Board of Trustees approved the district’s 2017-2018 school academic calendar during the February Regular Meeting Monday night in the Pat Smith-Gasperson Board Room.
The calendar begins with 2 ½ weeks of staff development (Aug. 10-25) in the weeks prior to the first day of school on Aug. 28. New Teacher Orientation is scheduled for Aug. 7-9. This front-loaded staff development will cut down on the amount of staff development days taken during the school year after school begins.
Grading periods are also broken down into six-week increments.
Student and staff holidays include Labor Day (Sept. 4); Thanksgiving (Nov. 20-24); Christmas/New Year’s (Dec. 25–Jan. 5); Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 15); President’s Day (Feb. 19); Spring Break (March 12-16); Good Friday (April 13); and Memorial Day (May 28).
The last day of school for the 2017-2018 school year is May 30.
Early Release days for students are scheduled for Friday, Sept. 22; Friday, Dec. 22; and Thursday, Feb. 8.
The approved academic calendar will be posted on the district’s website at www.marshallisd.com this week.
Other actions of note from Monday’s board meeting included:
- Cassandra Antonio, MISD Director of Career and Technical Education, gave a short video presentation to recognize February as CTE Month. The special video was produced by students in Jillian Robinson’s Video Production class at Marshall High School.
- Robert Wilbanks, Project Manager, presented his monthly report of the Legacy 2017 building program. All projects are making positive progress and there are no current concerns. Wilbanks also reported that there are no issues with the budget and that contingency expenditures remain well under budget at this time.
- Meeting minutes were approved from the January Agenda Review meeting and the January Regular Meeting.
- Trustees approved the district’s financial reports for January 2017.
- Trustees approved the Joint Election Agreement with the City of Marshall for the May 2017 school board election.
- Trustees approved the Contract for Elections Services between MISD and the Harrison County Elections Administrator, Mike McMurry. The contract states that the Elections Administrator will conduct and supervise the election activities for school board trustees in a joint contract with the City of Marshall Elections as required by the Texas Education Code.
- Trustees approved the order calling for a School Board Trustee Election on May 6, 2017.
- Trustees approved the appointment of the County Elections Office to conduct and supervise the school board election scheduled for May 6, and for Mike McMurry, Elections Administrator, to serve as Early Voting Clerk.
- Trustees approved the Early Voting Calendar for the May 6, 2017 elections. Early voting by personal appearance may take place at the Elections Office at 415 E. Burleson St. in Marshall beginning Monday, April 24, through Tuesday, May 2.
- Trustees approved an amendment to the Price T. Young Staffing Guidelines which were approved at the January 2017 Regular Board Meeting.
- Trustees approved Staffing Guidelines for William B. Travis and David Crockett elementary schools.
- Trustees approved Staffing Guidelines for Marshall Junior High School.
- Trustees approved the purchase of replacement lights for the MHS Baseball Field.
- Trustees approved a change order related to the Child Nutrition Freezer.