Go to ...

Piney Woods News

Covering Marshall, Texas and surrounding communities

RSS Feed

October 22, 2017

MFD responded to a fire on Walnut Street.

Internet Map

Midnight house fire destroys home, Red Cross called


12977158_1252961904731719_8195393359200665421_oBy Becky Holland, editor@pineywoods.news

MARSHALL – Firefighters with the Marshall Fire Department responded to a midnight call in the 400 block of Walnut June 3 of a house fire.

According to Marshall Fire Chief Reggie Cooper, the cause of the fire appeared to be the result of smoking materials which caused a “mattress to ignite and destroy the home.”
Cooper said, “One person was displaced, but thankfully, there were no injuries to the occupant or any MFD personnel.”

Chief Cooper urges citizens to remember the dangers of smoking in bed, and follow the rules. He also said, “Working smoke detectors are vital in homes and busineses. Early notification to emergency personnel is critical.”

Cooper said that the American Red Cross “was contacted,  and responded. They offered valuable assitance to the male occupant.”

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *