From David Weaver, MISD Public Relations/Communications Office
Mr. Jason Black was announced as the new Principal at Marshall Junior High, with Mr. Jerry Hancock being named Principal at South Marshall. Mrs. Nancy Fessler will serve as Principal at Travis Elementary.
Black returns to MISD after serving as Principal at Jefferson Junior High the last two years. He previously worked in MISD as Assistant Principal at William B. Travis Elementary, from 2012-2014, and was also a former teacher and coach at Marshall High School.
Black holds a Bachelor of Science in Health and Education from Louisiana Tech, where he was also a football letterman for the Bulldogs. He also served in the United States Marine Corps from 2000-2006, where he served multiple deployments as a Team Leader in Iraq.
Black earned a Masters in Educational Administration from Texas A&M-Texarkana and also earned a Superintendent Certification in May of 2014 for TAMU-Texarkana.
Hancock is a graduate of Marshall High School and has served as Assistant Principal at Sam Houston Middle School since 2012. Prior to that, he had worked solely in MISD as a fourth-grade teacher at J.H. Moore Elementary and David Crockett Elementary. In 2011-2012, Hancock taught U.S. History at Marshall Junior High.
Hancock is a 1998 graduate of East Texas Baptist University, earning a Bachelor of Arts in Behavioral Science. He earned a Region 7 Alternative Certification in 2007, and earned a Master of Education and Principal Certification from Texas A&M-Texarkana in 2001.
Fessler formerly taught French and Spanish at Marshall High School before serving as Principal at MHS from 1997 until retiring in 2003. She has also served as Executive Director of the Marshall Education Foundation since 2013 until she returned to the MISD staff as interim Principal at William B. Travis in early April of this year.
Other actions of note from Monday’s Board meeting included:
• Dr. Rebeca Cooper, Assistant Superintendent for Leadership and Learning, presented the Texas Accountability Intervention System (TAIS) Turnaround Plans for J.H. Moore Elementary and William B. Travis Elementary. These plans were later approved by trustees as an action item on Monday’s agenda.
• David Weaver, Public Relations and Communications Officer, presented the 2015-2016 MISD District Teachers of the Year, Ms. Roslyn Davis (WECC) and Ms. Vicki Hines (Price T. Young Middle School).
• Melissa Hammers, Marshall High School Choir Director, gave a presentation regarding the choir’s upcoming 2017 Spring Break Trip to Washington, D.C.
• Tina Brown, MHS Principal, presented the Top 10 seniors for the Class of 2016: Cristal Monzon-Hernandez (valedictorian), Angel Roach (salutatorian), Sarah Bates, Gustavo Gonzalez, Morgan Arst, Jasmine Acuna, Ashton Holliday, Brooke Paul, Molly Dzick, and Kyle Garbs.
• David Densmore, Director of Bands, gave a presentation regarding the band’s upcoming trip to Disneyworld and NASA in June.
• Kimberly Jones, Health Services Supervisor, gave the annual report for success of goals and upcoming objectives for the School Health Advisory Council (SHAC).
• Dr. Rebeca Cooper presented the 2015-2016 MISD iLearn: Wired for Success summer program.
• Cathy Marshall, Board Vice President, presented an Above and Beyond Award to Mrs. Stormy Nickerson.
• Mr. Robert Wilbanks, Project Manager from LAN, gave his monthly report on the progress of the MISD Legacy 2017 Building Program.
• Dr. J. Brian Nichols, Interim Superintendent, gave an update on the search for MISD Superintendent. Trustees have interviewed eight candidates and will bring back three of those candidates for a second interview on Friday, May 20. MISD could name a lone finalist for the position as early as Tuesday, May 24.
• Board members approved post election procedures, which included the seating and administration of the oath of office to Barbara Alexander.
• Board members approved an agreement with Eagle Abatement for asbestos abatement on the “C” wing demolition phase 1 of David Crockett Elementary.
• Board members approved an agreement with Slone Construction to perform limited construction for portable buildings at David Crockett Elementary.
• Board members approved a Competitive Sealed Proposal as the procurement method for the walk-in freezer construction project.
• Board members approved a purchase order for fuel.
• Board members approved purchase of Promethean ActivPanel Touchscreens for David Crockett Elementary.
• Board members approved a budget amendment for purchase of the Army Reserve Building.
• Board members approved a budget amendment for a donation received from the Marshall Association of Band Supporters.
The June meeting of the MISD Board of Trustees will be held on Monday, June 20, at 5:30 p.m.. An Agenda Review for that meeting will be held on Thursday, June 16, at 12 p.m.
NOTE: Information in this article is not considered to be the official minutes of the meeting. The official meeting minutes are provided as approved by the MISD Board of Trustees. This article is meant to give a first-look overview of the agenda items discussed and acted upon in open session during meetings of the MISD Board of Trustees.